SR-22 Insurance Requirement Laws in NH

What is an SR-22?

SR-22 stands for Safety Responsibility Form #22. It is a certificate that needs to be filed by an auto insurance company and submitted to the state in order to reinstate you’re driving privileges. The SR-22 is the name of the form that the New Hampshire insurance company sends to the DMV to prove that you have insurance. For a first offense DWI a person must have the SR-22 policy for 3 years from the date when the suspension of driving privileges is completed. For a second DWI, this time period is extended for 5 years. If at any time the insurance policy lapses for non-payment or cancellation by the insured or insurer the insurance company is required to notify the DMV. Lastly, if you are convicted of a major motor vehicle offense in the time frame that you are required to carry the SR-22 insurance certificate, the requirement will be extended for 3 years from the date of the major motor vehicle conviction.

The Requirements

The requirement that you obtain automobile insurance is another ‘collateral consequence’ of a DWI conviction. After a conviction for Driving While Intoxicated, New Hampshire requires drivers to carry a minimum auto liability insurance police, even if you do not own a vehicle! The minimum required is $25,000 for bodily injury for each injured person with a maximum of $50,000 for bodily injury if two people are hurt, and $25,000 for property damage.

More Info:

If you need help or have any questions, please don’t be afraid to call us.  We don’t judge and we are happy to help.

Our telephone number is: 603-595-5525

  • Nashua
  • Manchester
  • Concord
  • Bedford
  • Merrimack
  • Salem
  • Derry
  • Londonderry
  • Belknap County
  • Carroll County
  • Cheshire County
  • Coos County
  • Grafton County
  • Hillsborough County
  • Merrimack County
  • Rockingham County
  • Strafford County
  • Sullivan County